Growth Mindset

Picture from Pxhere
Carol Dweck's theory of Growth Mindset proposes that our focus on pass-fail attitudes is preventing us from truly learning and achieving our potentials. She argues that the reason for this is that we focus too much on failing, which makes us feel worthless and inadequate, whilst focusing on the possibility for growth could change this. Instead of giving a child an F for failing an exam, Dweck argues that they should receive a not yet, as they have not mastered the material yet. This would emphasize effort and progress, thus allowing children to take the time they need to master the concepts without feeling worthless if it is taking them a little bit longer because they will eventually get there. 

I do agree with Dweck that our society puts too much effort on exams and passing grades rather than learning, so I understand how the Growth Mindset could be beneficial. I think that originally grades were created with good intention, as a way to gauge a student's level of understanding, but nowadays your grades could easily make or break your future, thus the focus has shifted from learning and understanding to memorization and cramming. In my opinion, a Growth Mindset would only work in an environment where grades do not matter, and once you fail an exam you are allowed to retake it to get a better grade and demonstrate your progress. However, that is not the case in our society, and once you fail an exam that goes in your records and messes with your average, so sadly it is not that easy to simply practice a growth mindset. 

Personally, I feel like I do have a Growth Mindset when I approach my schoolwork and other activities even if I did not have a name for it. I do get frustrated when I do not get the grade I wanted, or when I can't do something right at first, but I always tell myself to just practice a little more, study a little harder, and I will eventually get there. So I am in a way practicing what Dweck suggests, however, I do not get the luxury of a not yet grade, I only get to hope that my future grades are enough to mask the previous not-so-great ones and that my GPA will not be permanently affected. 

Comentarios

Entradas populares de este blog

Existential Crisis: An Introduction By Me

Comment Wall

Week 9 Story: The Beauty and The Skull