Week 2 Reading Overview

Choose from CLASSICAL and/or BIBLICAL units for Weeks 3 and 4.
Week 3: Homer's Odyssey
Week 4: Jewish Fairy Tales

Choose from MIDDLE EASTERN and/or INDIAN units for Weeks 5 and 6.
Week 5: Ancient Egypt
Week 6: The Voyages of Sinbad

Choose from ASIAN and/or AFRICAN units for Weeks 7 and 9. [Week 8 is review week.]
Week 7: Japanese Mythology
Week 9: Nigerian Folk Stories

Choose from NATIVE AMERICAN units for Weeks 10 and 11.
Week 10: Eskimo Folk Tales
Week 11: British North America

Choose from BRITISH and/or CELTIC units for Weeks 12 and 13.
Week 12: King Arthur
Week 13: Nursery Rhymes

Choose from EUROPEAN units for Weeks 14 and 15.
Week 14: Kalevala
Week 15: Dante's Inferno


As I was looking through the different units I found it very hard to pick for some of the weeks, there were just too many things I found myself drawn to. Thankfully I managed to narrow down my choices and told myself I can always read more if I want to and find the time for it. I am particularly excited about the Eskimo tales, and the Kalevala Finnish stories. I don't really have a particular reason, I simply felt very intrigued by them. I am also very excited about the King Arthur unit, especially because I am currently binge-watching the Merlin BBC series that talks about Arthur and Merlin, so that will be fun to compare. I was excited about reading some Native American stories, but I was a bit disappointed that it was only Northern American tribes when Latin America has such a rich culture of myths and legends. This is something I would love to explore on my own, either for my project or as extra credit, but I do think Latin American stories are something that should be permanently added to this course. 

The pictures I chose are both from the King Arthur story. One is a drawing of Arthur and the Questing Beast by Andrew Lang, and the other is a promotional image for the BBC Merlin series, which I highly recommend. 


Arthur and Questing Beast in Flickr
BBC Merlin in IMDb

Comentarios

Entradas populares de este blog

Existential Crisis: An Introduction By Me

Comment Wall

Week 9 Story: The Beauty and The Skull