Storybook Plan

Storybook Theme

The overall theme of my storybook is indigenous Venezuelan myths and folklore. My main objective with this project will be to explore the culture of different tribes and ethnic groups within Venezuela, including the Pemones, Timoto-Cuicas, Waraos, Yanomamis, and others. Most of the stories I have explored so far address the origins of several natural landmarks in Venezuela, such as the Angel Falls, the tepuis (table-top mountains), rivers, and the Andes mountain range. 

Stories

I am struggling to decide on the stories I want to write about because there are so many I am interested in! In my Topic Research post, I made a pretty detailed summary of the three stories I was mostly leaning towards, the legend of the Makunaima, the legend of Owner of the Sun and the legend of Caribay and the Five White Eagles. These stories show the origin of the Pemon indigenous people, the origin of the sun and moon according to the Waraos, and the origin of the Andes in Venezuela. Since then I have also found a legend about the origin of the Angel Falls, one about the origin of the Catatumbo lightning (which is a perpetual lighting storm in Maracaibo, Venezuela) and one about why the Orinoco and Caroni rivers converge.

Story Style

Regarding the story style, I am still quite indecisive as to what exactly I want to do. I thought of maybe having an overarching narrative of a tourist traveling to Venezuela, visiting some of the natural landmarks mentioned in the stories and getting to know the legends through the indigenous people they meet, or a tourist guide. If I choose to go this route, I thought maybe I can make it into a choose-your-own-adventure story in which the tourist decides what areas of Venezuela to visit or who to talk to, and based on the decisions they can find out about certain places and legends. Aside from that, I don't really have any ideas, so if you have any suggestions please leave me a comment, I would really appreciate it!

Catatumbo Lighting from Wikimedia Commons
Orinoco and Caroní rivers converge by Heribert Dezeo

Bibliography


Comentarios

Entradas populares de este blog

Existential Crisis: An Introduction By Me

Comment Wall

Week 11 Story: When the Earth Shakes